Saturday, August 24, 2013

Grand Teton Relay

 I experienced my first overnight relay this month.  And what an experience it was.  It was called the Grand Teton Relay.  180 miles, 12 person team, 2 vans, 3 legs each person, running from Ashton Idaho to Jackson Wyoming (including the Jackson pass) I was team member 11, my legs were 6.4, 4.2 and 4.4.  They warn you for bears and make each car have bear spray.  As I was going to bed the night before we left there was a news story of two different bear attacks that day (one in Island Park and one in Yellowstone Park, both places fairly close to where we were running) So our first runner from our car started running, it was a dirt road not traveled by many.  We passed a white truck who stopped us and asked us what we were doing.  We told them running the race and they looked puzzled and said, "You know we are tracking bears in the area right?" So from that point on we didn't leave the sight of our runner on the road.  Even during the day it was a scary, weird feeling.  So we all finished our first runs spanning from about 11:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  We then passed off the baton to van #1 and drove to Teton having dinner at Subway on the way to our resting area (Teton High School).  By the time we were settled we only had 1 hour to lay down and rest before we had to be at our next transition area.  Our next legs started at 11:00 p.m. going to 3:30 a.m.  This was the CRAZY CRAZY leg.  We started off lost at the transition area and because there are not a ton of runners in this race we didn't see anybody.  So our first three runners ran but had to jump in the car several times because of dogs, or an empty van parked in the middle of the road or weird noises.  It just wasn't that great to be out in the middle of no where, in the dark, and no other runners in sight.  When we got to our 4th runner (Stacy) I got out to run with her and we both just got knots in our stomaches, and decided we felt we shouldn't be out there running.  So we got in the car and just started driving the coarse.  By the time we got in the middle of the 5th leg (my leg) we finally saw another runner.  It had been 20 miles, 20 miles I said since we saw anyone.  So when we got to the 6th leg (Jen's leg) Stacy, Jen and I all ran that leg which was to the top of Targhee.  We were so happy to be done and pass off to Van 1 again.  We drove back to Teton High School and was able to get 3 good hours of sleep before our last legs.  There were lots of people on this leg! Hallelujah!!!!  We started about 10:30 a.m. and finished the race at 3:30 p.m.  I saw a moose on my last run but thankfully it was across the street!  We didn't see any bears!  It was wonderful to be running amongst the Teton's in the background.  It was fun and I'm glad I did it, but I probably will not ever do that race again.  Just too much worry for my mind and heart.  I was very happy to return home safely!!

Everyone decorates their cars and we were asked to put Caution Runner on the Road on our cars.  Stacy drove her new car and didn't want paint on her car but we wanted to "obey" the rules so we just wrote it really small!  We laughed the whole time!!
Great photo with other fellow runner's headlights and the Teton's in the background!
Passing into Wyoming on the top of the pass
At the finish line!!
It was fun to get to know some new friends and accomplish something hard together!!  Good Job Ladies.

1 comment:

  1. loved reading all three blogs. Running--missionaries---sunset and moon. Loved all the pictures. I think I will wait to have your Mom read about your running experience in the morning. I don't want her to have nightmares!!!

    ReplyDelete